The waste hierarchy
There are many ways of disposing of waste. The waste hierarchy lists these methods in a sliding scale, from the most environmentally friendly option to the least for many types of waste:
- Prevention – the best option, this focuses on reducing waste being produced in the first place
- Reuse – for example, using old food containers as lunch boxes or old plastic bags as bin liners
- Recycle – taking materials from old products to make something new, like making car parts from old metal drinks cans
- Energy recovery – creating energy from waste, for example by burning it to produce electricity
- Disposal – the worst option for most types of waste as this often involves burying rubbish in landfill
Click on the link below to read the story in full.